Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Jacob's View of the Holiness of God

I was reading in Genesis the other when something that Jacob said caught my attention. It was after he had wrestled with God at the end of Chapter 32 when he said:

"I have seen God face to face, yet my life has been preserved." Genesis 32:30

In this verse Jacob realizes that He was allowed to see God and out of God's mercy He is still alive afterward. I believed that the reason that Jacob is so astonished at this is because by seeing God's face he realizes his vast shortcomings before God. He realizes how small he is in comparison, as well as, how holy God is and how sinful he is. The fact that even by seeing God one was supposed to die is quite a remarkable statement about the perfection of God.

I pray that I realize more and more everyday how holy God really is and how utterly sinful I really am. I pray this so that the cross of Christ will become bigger and more powerful in my own life. I also pray this prayer for everyone. I pray it because when viewing this the gospel is of utter importance to each and every person. As Spurgeon said, "When your sin is small, Your savior will be small also."

No comments: