Saturday, July 14, 2007

Growing Up

This summer has been very challenging to me in many aspects. I feel that I am learning things (sometime the hard way) and getting glimpses of what life will be like once I am done being a full-time student (which that time is rapidly approaching more and more).

One thing that has started becoming more and more apparent as life continues is that one's group of friends starts to dwindle, but also becomes closer. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but something that seems to happen as everyone grows busier and busier. However, I still feel that the Lord has blessed me with some great mentors and people to run alongside with in the faith.

Secondly the Lord has been revealing to me what life as a Christian will look like once I am out in the real world and probably have an 8 or 8 to 5 job. He has shown that He will have to take precedent in my Life and I will have to set aside specific amounts of time to spend with Him daily. This hasn't been easy for me and at some points I have definitely found my relationship with Him to be taking a hit.

Third, I need to pray more and be constantly bowing before the Lord in humble submission. Leader weekend was a great example of this for me.

Lastly, I feel that the topic of being a man of the Lord has been almost an hourly thought on my mind. While I am still learning a great deal about what God calls men to be in terms of their relationships to women, the world, and the church I feel confident that God will teach me and work in me to form me to the man He wants me to be.

I guess this has been a season for learning (whether willingly or not). I just need to take refuge in God and know that He is in control. The other day I "randomly" turned to Psalm 62 and found much comfort in what David writes in verses 5-8,

"My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation, My stronghold; I shall not be shaken. On God my salvation and my glory rest; The rock of my strength, my refuges is in God. Trust in Him at all times, O people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us."

No comments: